About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday- crazy idea

The Crisis:

I don't know what to do with the rest of my life and with the departure of my children, Monday-Friday from 8 to 3, I'm deliriously bored. By 9:30 this morning my house was as clean as it could be (with respect to the moving chaos), my children's pj's were out for tonight and their outfits for tomorrow were chosen and set aside. Lunches and snacks for the following day were prepped by noon and I found myself counting the minutes until I could pick them up from school.

In this time of tedious minute counting I find myself thinking about what I can do with my life. I have thought about lots of different things and it seems like I've got some solid ideas. That said, I've been really wishy washy. I try on an idea and I try to imagine myself really engaged in it.

Here's a new one:

I've always wanted to open a bakery. The best job that I ever had was in a bakery and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to bake. Unfortunately, I don't know anything ANYTHING about business. And I'm pretty sure that if I did know something about business, I'd be pretty awful at it. Oh, and the other problem is that I don't have any money. But lets say that I could get the money... I still would run a business directly into the ground by giving everything away.


I've been entertaining the concept of a bakery/cafe called "granola" that caters to different types of granola and serves different kinds of granola dishes... just like an ice cream parlor does. Not just granola, but different types of milks/yogurts and fruits to pair with granolas. I could even make homemade yogurt. It's pretty straightforward and could have a pretty straightforward menu. Granola is something that's always pretty popular. It's healthy. I love to bake it. It's easy to make creative granolas and I have lots of recipe ideas.

Just a thought.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a great idea! I have no money or business background, though.

    Here's a thought -- is there a farmer's market or something that you could start selling at? That way, it starts off small and you build a following without having to put out (I think) a lot of money. Then one of the people you sell to at the market will have a ton of money, some business know-how, and you can open your big bakery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. That's a fantastic idea. There are several little markets that exist around town. I think that the season is coming to an end, but maybe I can find out how to get an inn next season. Also, I wonder how much the rent is in the Reading Terminal Market. If you set up shop there you are practically guarenteed a successful business.

    After we settle into our new house I've been thinking about getting a job at a local bakery and trying to get an idea of how the business is run.

    I'm not sure how practical that is... or how much about the business I'll learn, but often people are happy to train you if it means relieving a bit of their work load.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always bounced around the idea of a bakery too!

    A couple things you should do: I work for hte Wyoming Business Council (the economic development agency for the state) and did a quick search for something similar in PA. I found this: http://www.newpa.com/build-your-business/start/index.aspx

    Also, I would check in with the Small Business Administration in Philly: http://www.sba.gov/localresources/district/pa/phil/index.html

    They should be able to give you some pointers on how to start!

    ReplyDelete