About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Boston Cream Cupcakes

I used this guy's recipe for these amazing little cupcakes and am super excited about the way that they turned out.  There's no doughnut better than a boston cream donut (okay, okay, a jelly donut might be a little bitter better than a boston cream donut).  Anyway, donuts are not in my present or future, and neither are cupcakes (sadly) but a girl can still get crazy in the kitchen, even if she is on a diet.

With my guidance, Lila did most of the leg work on these cupcakes (Bunny is at a friend's house).

Start with a basic vanilla cupcake.  Use whatever is comfortable for you, whether that be an old, familiar recipe or even a box mix.
Use a knife to cut out the middle of the cupcake
Fill with pudding mixture.
 We use a cake decorating bag to do this, but you could technically use a zip lock baggie that you cut the corner off.  Truthfully, you could also just use a spoon.
 No need to save the leftover pudding mixture.  Feel free to squeeze the rest right into your mouth.
 Quick tip:  When using a decorating bag for anything, NEVER EVER put the frosting or filling directly into the bag. What a mess!!!!!  ALWAYS use a large piece of plastic wrap. Scoop large spoonfulls of frosting or filling in the center of the plastic wrap and roll it up (twisting the ends well.)  The end of the plastic wrap that will be at the top of the bag should be knotted and the other end will slide easily through the decorating end and can be cut with scissors and the tip can be reattached.  This picture is what the plastic looks like after I remove it from the bag, when it has been emptied out.
 When all is said and done, your bag will look like this, instead of like a complete gooey mess with filling oozing out of the top and onto your hand.  Gross!

Yes, that IS Groovy-James trying to lick the pudding off of the tip of my decorating bag while I take a picture.
 Take your ganache and spoon it onto the top of the cupcakes.
It can be a little bit messy!  Best not to use too much.  The leftovers will be great over a bowl of ice-cream and topped with a few salted peanuts the next day!
Sprinkle on a bit of powdered sugar.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment