About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Easy Vegan Meal Idea for Summer

These tofu kabobs are not low-carb, but they are also not that high either.  The big culprit (other than them being delicious terrible because they are fried) is the flour you need to roll them in.  When they have a little coating of flour it makes them crispy on the outside.

Who wants to eat slimy, slippery, mushy tofu?  Not me!  Really, I'm not a huge fan of tofu anyway.  It gives me a belly ache, so as delicious as these are, they are probably not for me anyway.

If you have a vegan or vegetarian guest at your BBQ this summer, this is an easy way to please all.

Preheat your oven to 450.

Spray a cookie sheet with your favorite cooking spray and spread your cut veggies on top.  I used mushroom, zucchini and onion for these kabobs.  Sprinkle the vegetables with a bit of garlic pepper  or another seasoning that you're particularly fond of!  Pop them in the oven for about five minutes.

In the meantime, heat oil in a large pan.

Cut your extra firm tofu into cubes and roll each cube first in soy sauce and then in flour.  When all of your cubes have been coated cook them in the oil, keeping a close eye on them and turning them often.

Remove them from the oil and let them cool a bit before kabobbing them.

I'll be serving these with a store-bought peanut sauce.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment