About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 4 of my raw vegan cleanse

It's been a stressful couple of days, but I've stuck to my cleanse.

I'm four days into the raw vegan diet and have conflicted feelings.  I'm dropping weight like crazy even though I'm carefully tracking my calories and nutrients.  The only nutrient that I seem to consistently be at a deficit with is protein.  I've read that a lot of research shows that humans need far less protein than we consume, so I'm not sweating it.  I find it incredibly interesting that though I'm eating the exact same amount of calories, I'm losing weight very quickly now.  I'm 6 pounds away from the original goal that I set for myself.  My BMI is back within a healthy range.  I can fit into clothes that I never thought I'd be able to get over my knees again.  Of course, this didn't happen by losing just 4 lbs, but losing so much, so quickly is always noticeable.

I do not notice a difference in my energy level.  I've been working out 6 days a week- doing anywhere from 40-60 minutes of cardio a day and following up with weight resistance training when I have the time to.  With the holiday weekend I've had to work with Jay's schedule and have had limited time.  Usually I go while the kids are in school and I have all the time in the world.  It's probably too soon to see a noticeable difference in my energy level, but I have always been under the impression that it's immediate.  It's also possible that my energy level is being effected by my non-caffeinated state.

I've been pretty creative about the food that I prepare for myself, but if I'm being honest, I MISS COOKED FOOD.  I do think that I could be a happy vegan and will likely continue to eat a mostly plant based diet, but I really miss eating warm food.

I will definitely continue with this cleanse.  I'm excited to see how I feel at the end of it.  At the moment, I'm not too impressed though.  Outside of my crazy weight loss, I just don't feel much different and though I like everything that I'm eating, I wish that I could just eat a big hunk of vegetable lasagna or a bowl of steamed broccoli or a warm apple crisp.

Some of my complaints are growing pains.  The food that I'm making is unfamiliar and the preparation of it is time consuming.  For the most part I eat raw fruits and veggie during the day and then mix myself up a fancy dinner.

Last night I made raw spring rolls and I have to admit that they were just delicious!


Here's how you make the guts

1/2 head cabbage
1/4 head red cabbage
3 cloves garlic
1 medium sweet potato
1/4 up apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp raw tahini 

Put it all in a food processor and shred it to bits and pieces.  Wrap it in romaine lettuce leafs and serve with a side of stacked onion, tomato and avocado.  

Tonight, I made a raw gazpacho and am dicing avocado and onion to put inside.  Avocado has been a life saver for me.  It's filling and satisfying and nutrient dense.  And I love it, which is a bonus.  




No comments:

Post a Comment