About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

My crock pot

On days like today when we don't leave track practice until 7:30 and return home from picking Jay up until almost 8, my crock pot swoops in to rescue dinner like a superhero. I am not necessarily the biggest fan of slow cooked foods, but without it we'd eat a lot of fast food or have to wait until 10 for dinner to be served. I've found that it's so easy to make a hearty stew, slow cooked meats, bbq or pot pie in the crock pot and if I time things correctly (and set the table before leaving the house) we can be eating dinner within two minutes of walking through the door at night. The best part is that the clean up usually happens around noon time, so outside of the pot and your dishes, there's very little to do.

4 comments:

  1. Do you have any good vegetarian/vegan slow cooker recipes? On my busy school days, I love to use my slow cooker, but most of those recipes are meat-based.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! You could make a great veggie pot pie base, potato leek soup, curries with coconut milk, vegetarian chili, black bean soup, bbq seitan and so much more. One of my favorite thing to do in a pinch is to fill my crock put 1/2 way with water, chop up a bunch of celery, a few carrots, a whole onion, throw in a 1/2 tsp of chili powder, some salt, petter and other seasonings that I have on hand... a fistful of fresh cilantro... and a bag of black beans and a bag of red beans. Serve it up with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle or cheddar cheese.... or just let it be vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this! Maybe it will be helpful!
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/slow-cooker-recipes.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! we just got one too but have yet to use it. i definitely am going to try that chili recipe. and some of the ones in the 2 veggie slow cooker books i bought. =)

    ReplyDelete